cancel
register
We use cookies to help us deliver our online services. By using our website or by closing this message box, you agree to our use of cookies as described in our Cookie Policy.
use

Ho20Chi20Minh

We are sorry for the inconvenience. Your result has not been found temporarily!
Would you like to search for other interests for a change?
title: Forbidden city   the palace museum

Forbidden city - the palace museum

Palace of Earthly Tranquility is at the northmost of the Forbidden City and is the only example of Manchurian architecture in the Imperial Palace. This palace was considered to be one of the empress's palace. It was also called as Kunning Palace. Kunning palace was actually utilised as the emperor's wedding bridal chamber and ...

title: Forbidden city   the palace museum

Forbidden city - the palace museum

The emperor and empresses from the Qing dynasty and the imperial household were Manchu people, and were somewhat believed to be superstitious and respected religion very much. The Palace was remodelled into a Manchu-style house during Qing dynasty. Rather than in the middle, the palace has its main door off center to the east. The four west side rooms of the palace were changed in ...

title: Forbidden city   the palace museum

Forbidden city - the palace museum

Qianqing Palace or the Palace of Heavenly Purity is one of the palaces in the Forbidden City. Located at the northern end of the Forbidden City, Palace of Heavenly Purity is said to be the largest of the three halls in the Inner Court, the other two being the Hall of Union and the Palace of Earthly ...

title: Forbidden city   the palace museum

Forbidden city - the palace museum

Kunninggong or the Palace of Earthly Tranquility was constructed in 1420 and is one of three palaces in the living zone of the Forbidden City. The palace suffered two major fire disasters in 1514 and later in 1596. The repair work of the palace was carried out in 1605. During the Qing Dynasty, the palace underwent two restoration work ...

title: Forbidden city   the palace museum

Forbidden city - the palace museum

The Imperial Garden at the northern end of the Forbidden City. It is a classical Chinese garden with 7000 sq metres of fine landscaping which includes rockeries, walkways, pavilions and ancient cypresses. It was the most typical imperial garden in China. Within the garden, there are about 20 structures in different styles. The main ...

title: Forbidden city   the palace museum

Forbidden city - the palace museum

The Hall of Imperial Supremacy or Huangji Dian in Chinese is also translated by the Palace Museum as the Hall of Norms of Government. Constructed in the year 1689 during the Qing Dynasty (1644-1912), it was also known as The Palace of Peace and Longevity, only to be renamed later in during a renovation in 1776. In the same year The Hall of Union was constructed. The name for the hall comes ...

title: Forbidden city   the palace museum

Forbidden city - the palace museum

The new Treasure Museum was shifted from Hall of Huangji and Palace of Peace and Hall of Happiness and Longevity, Hall of Mental Cultivation, Yihe Xuan Pavilion, after the completion of renovation work. The museum acquired the total area of about 220 square meters in the palace. More than 440 pieces of cultural relics, of which ...

title: Forbidden city   the palace museum

Forbidden city - the palace museum

The Hall of Central Harmony or The Hall of Middle harmony is the smallest hall among the three main halls in the Outer Court or the Outer palace. It is called Zhonghe Dian in Chinese. Before the ceremonies, this pavilion-style hall used to be the place for the emperor to do the preparations. The emperor ...

title: Forbidden city   the palace museum

Forbidden city - the palace museum

The emperor was believed to be the son of Heaven in ancient times, and hence, it was a common belief that utmost power from Heaven was conferred upon him. The abode of emperors was erected as a copy of the Purple Palace where God was thought to live in Heaven.All the entrances, palace and buildings of the Forbidden City were lined up about the north-south central axis ...

title: Forbidden city   the palace museum

Forbidden city - the palace museum

The Pavilion of Cheerful Melodies is located far east of the Forbidden City. This was a performing stage where emperors and his royal family enjoyed watching opera. This pavilion was constructed in 1776. A three-story opera stage, the largest stage in the palace, was added to the pavilion in 1817, during the 22nd year of the Jiaqing reign period. With a total ...

title: Forbidden city   the palace museum

Forbidden city - the palace museum

The largest hall within the Forbidden City, Hall of Supreme Harmony lies at the centre of the Forbidden City. It is located behind the Gate of Supreme Harmony, at its central axis. It is surrounded by bronze incense burners, and built above three levels of marble stone base. The Hall of Supreme Harmony is considered to be one of the largest wooden structures within China. Ming Dynasty and Qing Dynasty emperors hosted their enthronement and wedding ...

title: Forbidden city   the palace museum

Forbidden city - the palace museum

The Meridian Gate lies in the north-south axis and is the main entrance of the Forbidden City. This door is positioned with a sunny exposure where is the meridian, therefore it was given the name the Meridian Gate. The gate was originally constructed in the eighteenth year of Ming Dynasty Yongle in 1420 and was rebuilt in ...

title: Forbidden city   the palace museum

Forbidden city - the palace museum

Beside the Pavilion of Expecting Good Omen and in the northern end of the Qianlong Garden, lies the the Well of Concubine Zhen. An interesting story unfold, when it comes to this well. In 1887, the thirteenth year in the supremacy of the Qing Emperor Guangxu (1877-1908), Guangxu announced one of the close relatives of Dowager Cixi's as the empress. The announcement was by the emperor very much under the threat of Empress Dowager CIxi, who was considered to be a powerful personality. ...

title: Forbidden city   the palace museum

Forbidden city - the palace museum

Shenwu Gate or the Gate of Devine Might is located at the north side of the Forbidden City. This gate was originally constructed in the Ming Yongle in 1420. The gate was also called Xunwu Gate during the Ming dynasty. Xuanwu is one of the four mythical creatures in ancient China. Because Xuanwu represents the north, hence, most of the north gate of the imperial palaces were called Xuanwu. The gate was constructed in Qing Emperor Kangxi ...

title: Forbidden city   the palace museum

Forbidden city - the palace museum

The Gate of Heavenly Purity was as the chief entrance to the Inner Court, which includes the Palace of Heavenly Purity, the Hall of Unity and the Palace of Earthly Tranquility. The Inner court was the area where the emperors, concubines and princes lived. The emperors held court with their officials at the Gate of Heavenly Purity during the Qing Dynasty. The gate was used to ...

title: Forbidden city   the palace museum

Forbidden city - the palace museum

Jiaotaidian in Chinese or the Hall of Celestial and Terrestrial Union is one of the three main palaces of the inner court of te Forbidden CIty. This palace was constructed during the reign of Jiajing (1522-1566) of the Ming Dynasty, and went under renovation not once but twice, in 1655 and later in 1669.Bao, the jade royal seals were ...

title: Forbidden city   the palace museum

Forbidden city - the palace museum

The Meridian Gate, which is the largest entrance to the Forbidden City, is 35.6 meters high and surmounted by five pavilions. This gate is also known as WuFengLou, which means Five Phoenix Tower, because each pavillion resembled like a phoenix. It was called Meridian Gate because the emperor supposed that the Meridian line went ...

title: Forbidden city   the palace museum

Forbidden city - the palace museum

Six Eastern Palaces is situated on Dongyichang Street on the east side of the Forbidden City. The Six Eastern Palaces were also the dwellings of the emperor's wives, as the counterpart of the Six Western Palaces. Like six Western palaces, these six Eastern Palaces too have six courtyards each, which were neatly arranged on the east side of the three main halls in the ...

title: Forbidden city   the palace museum

Forbidden city - the palace museum

The Hall of Heavenly Purity or Qianqing Gong in Chinese is the largest of the three halls of the Inner Court. The other two being the Hall of Union and the Palace of Earthly Tranquility. It is located at the northern end of the Forbidden City. It is twenty meters, (65.6 feet) in height. Sixteen emperors lived ...

title: Forbidden city   the palace museum

Forbidden city - the palace museum

The Hall of Earthly Tranquility or Kunning Gong in Chinese was constructed in the year 1420 and was the empress' residence in the Ming Dynasty (1368-1644). The Palace of Earthly Tranquility is located at the northernmost of the three main halls of the Inner Court of the Forbidden City. The Palace of Earthly Tranquility is a double-eaved structure. It is 3 bays deep and 9 bays wide. In the ...

title: Forbidden city   the palace museum

Forbidden city - the palace museum

Xiliu Gong or The Six Western Palaces and Dongliu Gong, the Six Eastern Palaces lie proportionally on each side of the three main halls in the Inner Court of the Forbidden City. These twelve palaces were the residence of the many wives of the emperor. All the twelve palace have a separated courtyard, a front hall, a rear hall and assistant halls.As the name suggests, the Six Western Palaces are located in the west of the Inner Court of the Forbidden City. ...

title: Forbidden city   the palace museum

Forbidden city - the palace museum

Hall of Clocks and Watches, now called as the Museum of Clocks and Watches in the Forbidden City is home to some of the fantastic timepieces from the Qing Dynasty. The clocks and watches displayed in the musuem are mostly made in Switzerland, Japan, England and France, while some of them made in China. The Hall of Clocks and Watches lies in the Palace of Dedication or Fengxian Palace, to the east of the Forbidden City. Constructed during ...

title: Forbidden city   the palace museum

Forbidden city - the palace museum

The Gate of Peace and Longevity was built in 1668 (27th year of Ching Emperor Kang Hsi's reign). The Hall of Imperial Supremacy was once also known as the Palace of Peace and Longevity, only to be renamed in 1776. The name moved to another hall chosen by Qianlong for his retirement period, although it is ...

title: Forbidden city   the palace museum

Forbidden city - the palace museum

The Hall of Central Harmony lies between the Hall of Supreme Harmony and the Hall of Preserving Harmony. It is is one of the halls outside the Forbidden City and was originally, a lounge that was used by the emperor before he departs for his meeting and ceremonies.Square in shape, the Hall of Central Harmony covers an area of 580 square meters. Three rooms is located at ...