The archaeological collection found in this museum was relocated to different locations, some buried but none destroyed. In 1889 the construction of this museum was completed, then came the World War II and the museum closed again. In 1945, they began moving in the collection and the museum began to expand. In the early 20th century a two-storeyed building and an east wing were constructed to accommodate the rapidly growing collection. It is considered one of the greatest museums in the world containing Greek artifacts worldwide.