The Murano Glass Museum was established in 1861 when the darkest period in the historical backdrop of Murano glassmaking had been survived, following the fall of the Republic of San Marco in 1797. The museum collections grew rapidly due to the donation of countless glass pieces made on the island throughout the hundreds of years. The collections were completed by the proprietors of the glass manufacturers which had begun working again starting the 50s using the same methods yet still considered contemporary.
Today, the roof of the enormous first floor facing the Grand Canal in Murano affirms the glory of the royal residence outlining the eighteenth-century architectural details. The decoration with the crest of Murano families is very contemporary. Especially with the three huge chandeliers, the dominant one with 60 branches is worthy of specific consideration. It was made by Giovanni Fuga and Lorenzo Santi and was introduced at the first Murano Glass Exposition in 1864 where it was granted a golden award.