Constructed in 1850, the Saint Michel Bridge or Pont Saint Michel is one of the oldest stone bridges in Paris that connects the Place Saint-Michel located on the left bank of the Seine River with Ile de la Cite Island. The bridge was named after the chapel of Saint Michel which is located in close proximity of the bridge. The original bridge was constructed in 1378 and after that, it has been re-constructed several times. After several years of use, the Saint Michel Bridge began to show signs of severe wear, additionally, it was deemed too narrow to accommodate the growing needs of the city. Hence, it was decided to build a replacement bridge. In the new design of the bridge, the number of arches was reduced to three. The original design of the bridge featured four arches. The modern bridge that we see today was constructed in 1857. The construction work was completed in seven months. The design of the modern bridge was made by Paul Vaudrey and Paul Martin Gallocher de Lagalisserie, French engineers. Some of the most popular tourist destinations located near the Saint-Michel Bridge include Notre Dame Cathedral, Place Saint Michel, Parvis Notre Dame – Place Jean Paul II, Sainte Chapelle and Crypte Archeolgique.